Monday, July 3, 2017

It's July 4th!


I hope everyone has a glorious day ahead as we celebrate our nation's freedom and democracy. I read that more hot dogs are consumed on this day than any other day during the year! Wow! I'm planning to feast on barbecued chicken, corn-on-the-cob, potato salad, and homemade apple pie with my family and of course watch the fireworks at a local park. The fireworks are my favorite part! 🌟🌟🌟

In honor of our country's birthday, I've created a "National Symbol" matching activity to use when I want students to find a partner to work with. You can find it in my TPT store by clicking on this link: 

                                          National Symbol Match-Up 

I have made flashcards with ten different national symbol names, a picture of each one, and a brief description of them. After copying them on card-stock for durability, I will cut them out into small cards. If I want kids to find one partner, I can use the picture and the matching definition cards. After passing out one to each student, they are asked to find their match and they will become partners. For younger kids, you could just use the picture and the name of the symbol to make matching easier. Here's a quick view: 

National Symbol Match-UpNational Symbol Match-Up
If you happen to teach about National Symbols (CA second grade teachers), then you could use these as part of your instruction or review. Many different options! 

"The American, by nature, is optimistic. He is experimental, an inventor, and a builder who builds best when called upon to build greatly."
.....John F. Kennedy, 35th president of the United States

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!